Devil's Highway

Devil's Highway

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Up in the air

….I am actually 33,000 feet up in the air while I am typing this. My plan is to type this up then post it when I land and have internet access. This week has been one of the most stressful weeks of my life with the end of tax season at my firm, trying to keep my head above water at school, and preparing for vacation. I read another chapter of Devil’s Highway when I first got on the plane. My plan was to read then post this blog, but that did not happen and I caught up on some much needed sleep for the past hour and a half. I read the chapter entitled “In Sonoita” and it was just as interesting as I had expected. One of the main ideas that sticks out to me is the immigrants sheer determination to press on. We are given vivid details of the areas with their cheap motels where they wait for pick up and drop off to the safe houses. The author does seem to repeat himself with his constant descriptions of the desert and the different passage they may take and the ones they do take, but this is because he is trying to show us the severity of what is occurring along the US-Mexican border. I am trying to remove my emotions while reading this book, but I find it strangely difficult. The way these people were treated like animals angers me, but what further angers me is that this behavior is continuing and occurring right now. I feel much more awake now and I am actually going to read some more during my flight. I will write again in an hour our so….

No comments:

Post a Comment